1.08.2010

The Chewy Fairy

Mia was visited by the Chewy Fairy this week...

Mia's dad is from Colombia, so for those of you who are wondering...Mia's chewy is her pacifier, short for chupon.

For all you mothers out there, this is a brilliant idea...seroiusly, Elf on the Shelf, Shmelf on the Shelf. (and you all know how much I love Tyroney)

So, The Chewy Fairy.

The idea is that one morning when they wake up, there is a pretty box in their bedroom from the Chewy Fairy. That night, they have to leave their chewy in the box, the Chewy Fairy will come back, leave something special for them (ideally something that they can take with them to bed instead of the chewy,) and then take their chewy and give it to a little baby somewhere who needs it.

Genius, right?

We started laying the groundwork a month or so ago...

"Brooksie, I heard the Chewy Fairy came to see a little girl down the street last night..."
"Really? Wow, I didn't think she made trips down here this time of year..."

...

"...What's the Chewy Fairy?"

Bingo.

At first she was pretty excited about the idea...or so we thought.

"Brooksie, the Chewy Fairy is going to come see me soon!"
"Really? What do you think she's going to bring you?"
"...maybe a really big chewy!"

...not the right idea.

But as time went on, she started to get used to the idea, and so the other morning...the box made it's appearance. When I walked in that morning I was almost tackled to the ground by a very excited 2 year old.

"BROOKSIE! THE CHEWY FAIRY CAME LAST NIGHT!!!!!"

I was staying with Lucy that morning, so after Mia and her mom left for school, I went up to see the Chewy Box. There was a note on top...

Dear Little Mia,

Please leave your chewy in this box tonight before you go to sleep.
Now that you are a big girl, I am going to take your chewy and give it to a little baby who needs it.
I will come back tonight to get it, and I will leave you something special.

Sweet dreams,
The Chewy Fairy


Okay, yes...I cried a little.

The next morning, at 8 a.m., I got a phone call from that same very excited little 2 year old...

Her chewy was gone, and in it's place, a Glow Worm and a Hello Kitty blanket...

I really can't believe how much she's grown the last few months. Not only is she so much taller, but now she says things like,

"Okay Brooksie, you give Lucy Loo a bath, and in the meantime I'll sit over here and color..."

In the meantime? You're two years old...

And now she doesn't have a chewy...and she's not sad about it.

"Brooksie, I don't need my chewy...I'm a big girl."

The least she could do is pretend...


So...Santa, the Elf on the Shelf, the Toothfairy, Easter Bunny...and the Chewy Fairy.

If we come up with any more mythical figures to make our lives easier, you'll be the first to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment