12.24.2009

The Elf on the Shelf

I'm a bit sad tonight because I won't get to see Mia on Christmas morning tomorow...
Mia's mom told me that when they were hanging up their stockings, Mia asked where mine was...

It's not just because I love her so much though, it's just so easy for me to imagine what it's going to be like...it's going to be so much fun. She could not be at a more perfect stage for Santa Claus.

Which reminds me, have any of you heard of The Elf on the Shelf? It has got to be the most ingenious idea for toddlers at Christmas ever. It's a small little elf, a "scout" elf of Santa's, that (obviously) sits on the shelf. He watches you all day long, and then each night goes home to the North Pole and tells Santa whether or not you behaved that day. So, each morning, the elf is in a new spot.

I. love. this. thing.

The first thing you're supposed to do when he arrives is give him a name. Mia, still devoted to The Backyardigans, named her elf Tyrone...

Yes, Tyrone.

So the first thing Mia says when she wakes up now is, "where's Tyroney?!"
This is why I'm so sad that I'm missing Christmas morning and how I know it's going to be so fun...she is so stinking cute with this elf. You can hear her racing around the house until you hear,

"THERE HE IS!"

It's not just cute though, it's like a million times more effective than Santa for good behavior. I can't tell you how many times I've said, "Mia, I hope Tyrone can't hear you..." or "I hope Tyrone didn't just see you do that..."
There's a flash of recognition in her eyes, her bottom lip puckers out and she whispers, "is he going to tell Santa?"

It's hard enough to keep a stern face when I talk about Tyroney, but add the bottom lip and forget about it.
I really don't think she could be any cuter...

So tonight I wish you all lots of love from people who think your stocking should be hanging with theirs...

Merry Christmas from Brooksie and Tyrone.

No comments:

Post a Comment